2020 Soul Overview
April 18, 2019
Next-Generation Soul Strikes Back With Forward Design, Modern Tech, and More Diverse Model Lineup
- Iconic shape and profile evolve on top of all-new platform
- Technologically advanced cockpit designed to provide visceral musical experience
- New 2.0-liter engine and available IVT transmission combination
- Available 10.25-inch wide display2 and available Head-Up Display2 play up Soul’s high-tech image
- New “GT-Line” models and “X-Line” adds more visual and performance excitement to Soul family
SAN DIEGO, Calif., Feb 20, 2018 – All-new and funkier than ever, the 2020 Soul is a completely new yet familiar version of Kia’s beloved and award-winning urban runabout. Taking everything that helped popularize the quirky, unconventionally styled subcompact, Kia Motors poured more of its soul into nearly every inch of the vehicle, resulting in a third-generation that continues to transcend unmatched style, peppy performance, thrilling technology, and urban practicality.
“The Soul has been a massive success since its introduction to the U.S. market, blowing its (now defunct) rivals out of the water and establishing itself as an automotive icon with its fun-loving character and eccentric style,” said Orth Hedrick, executive director of Car Planning and Telematics. “Even with an entirely new generation of competitors now crowding the marketplace, we are confident the all-new Soul will once again prove to be a tough contender given its unparalleled style and impressive level of invigorating technology and customization options.”
Proving the point that “there is a Soul for everyone,” the normally aspirated and optionally turbocharged Soul is available in five trim levels – LX, S, X-Line, GT-Line, and EX – plus the all-new Soul EV (outlined in a separate press release).
Design Beyond the Box
While the Soul stays true to its design heritage with its boxy silhouette and confident stance, its newly sculpted lines, cutting-edge details, and technical lighting elements present the most futuristic, youthful and innovative Soul yet.
New exterior design highlights include:
- High-tech front headlight configuration with connecting trim piece accentuates width
- Slim-design daytime running lights and turn signal indicators
- Larger front grille with unique two-tone treatment
- Front fender detail lines add volume to clean and smooth surfaces
- Roof rack mounting points
- Three-dimensional wraparound boomerang-shaped taillights
- C-pillars designed to resemble airplane wings
- Signature vertical rear window and “Island” stay true to Soul design heritage
- Distinctive C-pillar garnish features new “Soul” graphic
Music has been an overarching theme for Soul since its inception, and it’s no different this time around. For the third generation, designers and engineers turned up the volume on the interior design. Drawing inspiration from the “emotional visualization of sound,” the Soul’s interior space is adorned with shapes and textures that reflect acoustic inspired elements to create a full sensory experience.
Interior design highlights include:
- Available sound mood lighting emits soft light from the center door panels and a unique 3D pattern surface on the upper door panels, with the ability to synchronize to the beat of the music playing through the Soul’s audio system
- Sound mood lighting features a rainbow of customizable colors
- Available wireless charging
- Available dual auto climate control
- Soul’s signature tweeter speakers
HIGHLIGHT – SOUL’S MOOD LIGHTING SYSTEM
Since the Kia Soul first arrived on the scene in 2009, it has established a very real and remarkable connection with music. This continues to be a core attribute of the Soul's persona and the volume has been turned up to 11 with a new mood lighting system that tailors the interior ambiance according to a variety of selectable “moods”:
- Hey! Yo!
- Party Time
- Midnight City
Smart Packaging and Stronger Structure
Despite its compact footprint, the Soul’s boxy dimensions continue to offer up a surprising amount of cargo and passenger space. Slightly longer than before, the 2020 Soul also features more smartly designed packaging in an effort to make accessibility even easier. Exterior Dimensions:
- Length: 165.2 in. [+2.2 in.]
- Width: 70.9 in. [unchanged]
- Height: 63.0 in. [unchanged]
- Wheelbase: 102.4 in. [+1.2 in.]
- Legroom (front / rear): 41.1 in./ 38.8 in. [+0.2 in./ - 0.3 in.]
- Headroom without sunroof (front / rear): 39.4 in. / 39.5 in. [-0.2 in./ unchanged]
- Shoulder room (front /rear): 55.5 in. /54.7 in. [unchanged]
- Cargo capacity: up to 24.2 cu.-ft.
- Wider and lower rear liftgate opening improves ease of loading and unloading
- Easy grip handle on liftgate
- Dual level cargo board offers flexibility with the ability to accommodate taller items using the lower level setting
- Larger front door openings as a result of sculpted front door panels
The 2020 Soul’s stronger structure benefits from an increased use of Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS), hot stamped components, and structural adhesive. With stronger bones, the 2020 Soul is expected to achieve the highest safety ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Next-Gen Infotainment and Kia Drive Wise Technologies
Recognizing that one’s car is an integral part of their social life, the 2020 Soul continues to surprise and delight with next-gen infotainment and technology.
- Available 10.25-inch HD color touchscreen2 with split screen function (standard on EX, GT-Line with turbo engine) and rear view monitor3 and parking guidance
- Android Auto4 and Apple CarPlay
- Bluetooth®6 Multi-Connection - two Bluetooth devices can be connected at the same time
- Available 8-inch Head-Up Display2
- Available 640-watt Harman Kardon7 audio system – twice the wattage of current Soul – with an amplifier and 10 speakers including tuned center speaker and subwoofer
Like other newly designed Kia models, the all-new Soul offers a suite of available Kia Drive Wise features8 including:
- Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA) / FCA Pedestrian type
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
- Lane Changing Assist (LCA)
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- Blind-spot Collision Warning (BCW)
- Rear Cross Collision Warning (RCCW)
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
What Drives You?
Soul enhances its fun-to-drive personality and versatility with different drivetrain combinations. From the all-new 2019 Forte, Kia’s Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT) is now available on the 2020 Soul for those who require efficiency with their zip. Designed and built in-house, the IVT is Kia’s unique version of a continuously variable transmission that provides an engaging driving experience.
- 2.0-liter Nu four-cylinder engine + 6-speed manual transmission or Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT)
- 147 horsepower, 132 lb-ft. of torque
- EPA-rated fuel economy:
- 25/31/27 mpg city/highway/combined (6-speed manual)
- 27/33/30 mpg (IVT)
For those who desire more zip, a turbocharged option is also available:
- 1.6-liter twin-scroll turbocharged I-4 GDI engine + 7-speed dual-clutch transmission
- 201 horsepower, 195 lb. ft of torque
- EPA-rated fuel economy:
- 27/32/29 mpg
With the Soul’s all-new platform comes a more refined experience behind the wheel and on the road. Engineers designed suspension geometry to help quell noise, vibration and harshness while also improving handling and comfort in a variety of conditions.
A Soul for Everyone
The 2020 Soul can be outfitted to convey one’s unique sense of style through a variety of customizable options. Aside from the all-new Soul EV that debuted alongside its gasoline counterpart, the Soul offers even more flexibility according to different lifestyles.
- Sporty front and rear fascia
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- P235/45 R18 tires
- Unique side sills and front fascia with red accents
- Integrated fog lights on front grille
- “GT-Line” badging
- Leather-wrapped D-shaped steering wheel and gearshift knob
- Available 201-HP turbocharged engine
- Chrome tip center exhaust
- Larger disc brakes
- Sport-tuned suspension
- Rugged body kit
- Body cladding
- Overfenders for chunkier look
- Offroad-inspired accents
- “X-Line” badging
- Unique 18-inch alloy wheels
- Roof rail inspired accents
- Optional two-tone paint
- Fog lights
EX Designer Collection (package available on EX trim)
- 18-inch alloy wheels with black spokes
- LED headlights and fog lights
- Optional two-tone roof treatment
- P235/45 R18 tires
About Kia Motors America
Headquartered in Irvine, California, Kia Motors America continues to top quality surveys and is recognized as one of the 100 Best Global Brands and 50 Best Global Green Brands by Interbrand. Kia serves as the "Official Automotive Partner" of the NBA and offers a complete range of vehicles sold through a network of nearly 800 dealers in the U.S., including cars and SUVs proudly assembled in West Point, Georgia.*
For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com. To receive custom email notifications for press releases the moment they are published, subscribe at www.kiamedia.com/us/en/newsalert.
* The Sorento and Optima GDI (S, EX, SX and certain LX Trims only) are assembled in the United States from U.S. and globally sourced parts.
1. Charging system only works with select devices. Refer to the vehicle's Owner's Manual for warnings and instructions.”
2. Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
3. Rear View Monitor is not a substitute for safe driving, and may not display all objects behind the vehicle. Always drive safely and use caution.
4. Vehicle user interface is a product of Google and its terms and privacy statements apply. Requires the Android Auto app on Google Play and an Android compatible smartphone running Android™ 5.0 Lollipop or higher. Data plan rates apply. Android Auto is a trademark of Google LLC.
5. Apple CarPlay™ is a trademark of Apple Inc. Requires a compatible Apple device sold separately. Apple CarPlay™ runs on your smartphone cellular data service. Data plan rates apply.
6. The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG Inc., and any use of such marks by Kia is pursuant to license. A Bluetooth® enabled device is required to use Bluetooth® wireless technology.
7. Harman/Kardon is a registered trademark of Harman International Industries, Inc.
8. These systems are not substitutes for proper and safe driving, parking, and/or backing-up procedures. These systems may not detect every object behind or alongside the vehicle or in the vehicle’s blindspot or direction of travel. Always drive safely and use caution.
9. Driver Attention Warning is not a substitute for safe driving and may not detect all instances of driver fatigue or inattentive driving practices. Failure to pay attention to travel conditions and vehicle operation could result in loss of vehicle control. Always drive safely and use caution.
10. Based on EPA estimates. Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and your vehicle’s condition.
Press Release Information Notice
Kia makes reasonable efforts to ensure that information contained in its press releases is accurate at the time of posting. However, Kia makes no guarantees or warranties, either expressed or implied, with respect to the accuracy of the content presented. Kia may, from time to time, update its press releases, issue new releases, or publish other information to reflect new information.
Recent Blog Posts
- 2020 Kia Telluride Named Winner Among Automobile All-Stars
- Kia Telluride Wins 2020 North American Utility Vehicle of the Year
- 2020 Kia Telluride Named Motortrend's SUV of the Year
- Kia soul named segment winner in J.D. Power 2019 multimedia quality and satisfaction study
- Kia has the most vehicles with top safety pick and top safety pick plus ratings from insurance institute for highway safety
- Kia motors ranked highest mass market brand for fifth consecutive year in J.D. Power U.S. initial quality study
- 2019 Kia stinger named a top safety pick plus by insurance institute for highway safety
- Kia Motors America teams up with SiriusXM to provide the ultimate EDM music festival experience
- Kia stinger receives first-ever j.D. Power engineering award for highest rated all-new vehicle
- All-new 2020 kia telluride offers rugged luxury
- Imagine by kia: a new all-electric concept car revealed
- 2020 Soul Overview
- Kia is among top three brands with most 2019 iihs safety awards following stricter crash standards
- For the third consecutive year, the Kia Soul and Sorento were named segment winners by U.S. News & World Report
- 2019 Forte named best small car by Motorweek